Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Tracking Time at Office

Before being a team lead, I used to work on a single task, in addition to the usual office chores. Now things have changed a lot. I find it hard to keep track of time during office hours. At the end of day, I wonder how much time I actually spent on my assigned task, how much time I worked with other teammates. I felt the need of a time tracking software.

In my previous software firm, Structured Data Systems Ltd. - an offshore branch of AfriGIS, South Africa, employees were encouraged to track time by using a software named Klok. A free version is available. I have started using it.

I intend to try out other related softwares later.

Here is the template I am using now:

Office chores
  > Check office mail
  > Daily scrum meeting
  > General office meeting : occurs occasionally
  > Lunch
  > Refreshment : 2 times a day - at around 11 am and 5 pm.
  > Table Tennis : we play TT at office!
 
Team work
  > Check client issues at JIRA and update TRAC
  > Check teammates' yesterday's work at TRAC
  > Today's task assignment
  > Retrospective meeting: weekly event
  > Work with teammates: I frequently do this. Tracking time for every teammate will enable me to find a trend about with whom or on what task I do pair-programming for a given period of time.
  > Knowledge sharing session: I greatly encourage to do this immediately after lunch when everyone is relaxed. I am planning to practice this more vigorously.
  > Meeting with Product Development Manager (PDM): occurs everyday intermittently.

No comments:

Post a Comment